Civic & Arts Foundation
The Union League Civic & Arts Foundation develops and promotes programs that support education, civic responsibility and the arts for children and young adults in the Chicago Metropolitan Area. Its programs target financial need and merit.
Art empowers. Art communicates. Art connects. Behind our mission and the work that we do is the belief in the unique role that art plays in society. Our mission refers to all of the arts, including visual art, creative writing, jazz and classical music.
Cultural competitions we have supported in the last year include:
- Creative Writing– Supports young writers of fiction, creative non-fiction, plays and poetry. We provide monetary support and also publish winners’ work.
- Classical Music– Chicago’s oldest and most generous program to support classical musicians in voice, piano, strings and wind.
- Jazz Composition - Encourages young people who possess the unique talent of composing original scores of jazz music.
- Jazz Improvisation – Awards Chicago’s best young jazz musicians for the originality and creativity of their spontaneous improvisation.
- Visual Arts – One of the largest and most generous in the country. In addition to generous awards, we also expose these artists with an exhibition of their work.
Promoting education, participation and leadership, the Civic & Arts Foundation encourages young people to contribute to the community and to embrace a sense of civic responsibility. We are devoted to the healthy development of young people by addressing their diverse needs in a diverse society.
Civic programs we have supported in the last year include:
- Public Interest Law Initiative (PILI) – Helps to make equal access to justice a reality
- Speech Competition – Awards Union League Club Boys & Girls Club children for their speeches about important current events.
- Transition: Helping Children Through Divorce Guidebook – Assists parents in supporting children through divorce. We have published over 40,000 books in English, Spanish and Polish and distributed them for free to individuals, organizations and courthouses.
- Photography Program - Using the medium of photography, in partnership with selected Chicago Public Schools, Civic & Arts works with at-risk third, fourth, and fifth grade classes to help the students build confidence and self-esteem, as well as develop an outlet for creativity and self expression. Recent themes have included, Community Service, Peace, and Friends and Family.
- Dance Program - A partnership with the Joffrey Ballet, this community outreach program brings dance lessons to fifth and sixth graders at selected underserved Chicago Public Schools. Children develop life skills, such as team work and self-expression, through this inspirational art form.
To learn more about the foundation or to become involved, please call 312.435.5961, or visit our website at www.civicandarts.org. You can also find us on Facebook .